Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Disney Dining Plan.....worth the cost?

So anyone who has planned a Disney vacation, either on the website alone or with the help of a Disney Vacation planner has at least heard of the Disney Dining Plans.

There are several to choose from and everyone has their own opinion regarding whether it is a good idea or not.

What is the Disney Dining Plan?

What it amounts to is a convenient and flexible way to enjoy your meals and snacks at over 200 locations on Disney property. These are included in some of the Magic Your Way packages you book.

So that's the "Official" definition. My definition? Only the greatest add on EVER to any of my Disney Vacation Packages!

Ok, so you like it you say, what can I do with it? Well how about never worrying about the cost of a meal, or budgeting for meals and snacks while on your Disney vacation? Oh....that sounds nice you say...tell me more!

Why sure I will, I love the Disney Dining plans. It is convenient, no hassle, no worry way for me to have the dinners/snacks I and my family want while we are vacationing. I can make all the dining reservations I want to make knowing that my meals are completely covered and I don't have to worry about budgeting for each meal.

But are are the plans really worth it?

On our last trip, it was my husband, myself, and our gorgeous grandson who was 4 at the time of the trip.

Some of our dining costs were:

Dinner w/Princesses at Akershus Norway Epcot total: $119.25
Breakfast at Cape May Cafe $67.07
Dinner at Hollywood & Vine $77.72
Character Breakfast at O'hana $67.19
Character Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare $57.48
Dinner at Trails End $72.81
Disney Jr. Character Breakfast at Hollywood & Vine $91.61
Lunch at T-Rex in Downtown Disney: $96.00
Dinner Show at Hoop De Doo Revue: $180.00

This was not all of the meals we had at Disney of course, we had a few more that I cannot find the receipts for, plus we had lunch in the parks for the most part usually at a quick serve location, and at our hotel a few times. And of course this doesn't even begin to cover our 2 snacks per person per day which we always enjoyed in the parks :)
But this totals to: $829.13
So you figuring in 2 snacks per person per day at an avg cost of $1.50 each
$3.00 (day) * 3 (ppl) * 6 days = $54 for the week
Then add in 5 quick serve lunches =$200
And add in the days for dinner that wasn't reserved: $100.00

For a grand total of: $1,183.13 for 6 days of meals w/snacks.

This plan also included a refillable collectible mug for each of us, valued at $14.95 each =$44.85.

So all in all our meals/mug cost us $1,227.98
We paid a total of $1,168.98 for the 6 nights with the Deluxe Dining plan.

I know, I know, you are looking at this going really? You saved $59. Yes I saved $59!!!! That means I had $59 more in my pocket to spend on bringing the magic back home with me. Or, I had $59 more to spend on the grandbaby.

Honestly, in all reality, I would balk at paying those prices anywhere else! There is no way I'm going to go out and spend $96 at a dinosaur restaurant. However....stop and think about this for a moment.

I was able to make my dining reservations for some of the most sought after places on Disney property and didn't have to worry about having the cash on hand to pay for it!
You also do not have to worry about walking around with that much cash on your person, or having to go to an ATM to get cash out, or putting it on a credit card and having to pay the interest.
I was able to create memories for a lifetime, and see the joy on my grandsons face, that I would never have been able to see anywhere else. And for that....the Dining Plan is priceless.

So for me, the Dining plans are totally worth it. There is no amount of money that you can place on a memory with a precious grandchild. Remembering his face now, is bringing tears to my eyes, because that moment, I would've given kidney for if I had to!

The loves of my life! This smile is worth any cost!


Disney Dining prices have gone up a bit since our last family trip.

Prices for 2014 are:

Quick Service Dining Plan:

  • 2 quick service meals per person per night of stay
  • 1 snack per person per night of stay
  • 1 refillable Resort mug,  per person per package
Cost is $39.64 per night age 10 and up and $15.75 per child ages 3-9 years.

Disney Dining Plan:

  • 1 quick service meal per person per night of stay
  • 1 table service meal per person per night of stay
  • 1 snack per person per night of stay
  • 1 refillable Resort mug per person per package
Cost is $58.66 per person per night age 10 and up and $18.88 per child ages 3-9 years.

Deluxe Dining Plan:

  • 3 meals per person per night of stay (can be used as quick service or table service
  • 2 snacks per person per night of stay
  • 1 refillable Resort mug per person per package 
Cost is $104.94 per person per night age 10 and up and $29.51 per child ages 3-9 years. 

You can read all about the different dining options available now and get more in depth information by clicking on one of the links below. 




I will post the 2014 editions as it gets closer. There are some locations still not added as contracts are still being worked out with Disney and the non Disney locations. 

So you can look at this way, with the dining plan added, you get an all inclusive vacation. You don't have to worry about a thing, except where it is that you want to eat! Is it worth it? In my book yes, very much so. This is something that needs to be looked at from every angle for each family going. Not everyone thinks this way. You will need to decide for yourself :)


Sending you Pixie Dust and Magical wishes,

Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment